Collective Voice Logo

COVID-19: Guidance on parental key worker status

Share this

The government has published guidance for schools, colleges and local authorities on maintaining educational provision during the COVID-19 crisis. Children of designated key workers can receive childcare at school to allow parents to continue working. Children should be entitled to childcare at school if one parent is a key worker – it is not required for both to be.

Drug and alcohol workers are included in the health and
social care section:
 “this includes but is not limited to doctors, nurses,
midwives, paramedics, social workers, care workers, and other frontline health
and social care staff”.

Additionally, voluntary sector organisations are included in
the key public services section: “charities and workers delivering key
frontline services”.

Public Health England has confirmed this interpretation of the guidance.

Drug and alcohol treatment and recovery services may find it useful to issue staff with a letter confirming key worker status that can be shared with the school. We have created a template letter – all that needs to be added is a logo, date and details of the organisation and parent.

Download the template letter for services to issue to staff.

If you are encountering issues with your school over the key worker designation or there’s anything else we can do to help please get in touch:

Leave a Reply

Related Content


Collective Voice is the national charity working to improve England’s drug and alcohol treatment and recovery systems